Assistant Research Professor
Dr. Dan Robinson is an Assistant research Professor in the Department of Pathology.
I have over 20 years of experience in biomedical sciences research, focusing mainly on cancer molecular biology and genetics. I have been focusing on the development of protocols to utilize high throughput next generation sequencing in the study of cancer. I’ve begun investigations into cancer genetics through a variety of sequencing-based approaches at both the genome and transcriptome level. In collaboration with the bioinformatics group, I am currently incorporating new methods of analysis to extract significant results relative to a wide range of somatic aberrations in cancer such as gene fusions, single nucleotide mutations, small indels, tandem internal duplications, deletions, and copy number variations. I also oversee the preparation of sequencing libraries, quality control, and provide expertise in genome biology in the laboratory.
1990: National Merit Scholar, Michigan State University
2000: UC Davis Cancer Center Researcher of the Year
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Wu, Y. M., Robinson, D. R., and Kung, H. J. (2004). Signal pathways in up-regulation of chemokines by tyrosine kinase MER/NYK in prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res 64, 7311-7320.
- Sprowles, A., Robinson, D., Wu, Y. M., Kung, H. J., and Wisdom, R. (2005). c-Jun controls the efficiency of MAP kinase signaling by transcriptional repression of MAP kinase phosphatases. Exp Cell Res 308, 459-468.
- Roychowdhury S, Iyer MK, Robinson DR, Longiro RJ, Wu Y, Cao X, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Sam L, Balbin OA, Quist MJ, Araujo JC, Troncoso P, Logothetis CJ, Innis JW, Smith DC, Lao CD, Kim SY. Roberts JS, Gruber SB, Pienta KJ, Talpaz M, Chinnaiyan AM. Personalized oncology throught integrative high-throughput sequencing: A pilot study. Sci Trans Med. 2011; 3(111):1-10. PMCID: PMC3476478.
- Prensner JR, Iyer MK, Balbin OA, Dhanasekaran SM, Cao Q, Brenner JC, Laxman B, Asangani IA, Grasso CS, Kominsky HD, Cao X, Jing X, Wang X, Siddiqui J, Wei JT, Robinson D, Iyer HK, Palanisamy N, Maher CA, Chinnaiyan AM. Transcriptome sequencing across a prostate cancer cohort identifies PCAT-1, an unannotated lincRNA implicated in disease progression. Nat Biotechnol 2011;29:742–749. PMCID: PMC3152676.
- Cui Y, Niziolek PJ, MacDonald BT, Zylstra CR, Alenina N, Robinson DR, Zhong Z, Matthes S, Jacobsen CM, Conlon RA, Brommage R, Liu Q, Mseeh F, Powell DR, Yang QM, Zambrowicz B, Gerrits H, Gossen JA, He X, Bader M, Williams BO, Warman ML, Robling AG. Lrp5 functions in bone to regulate bone mass. Nat Med 2011;17:684–691. PMCID: PMC3113461.
- Kim JH, Dhanasekaran SM, Prensner JR, Cao X, Robinson D, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Huang C, Shankar S, Jing X, Iyer M, Hu M, Sam L, Grasso C, Maher CA, Palanisamy N, Mehra R, Kominsky HD, Siddiqui J, Yu J, Qin ZS, Chinnaiyan AM. Deep sequencing reveals distinct patterns of DNA methylation in prostate cancer. Genome Res 2011;21:1028–1041. PMCID: PMC3129246.
- Sam LT, Lipson D, Raz T, Cao X, Thompson J, Milos PM, Robinson D, Chinnaiyan AM, Kumar-Sinha C, Maher CA. A comparison of single molecule and amplification based sequencing of cancer transcriptomes. PLoS One 2011;6:e17305. PMCID: PMC3046973.
- Robinson DR, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Wu YM, Shankar S, Cao X, Ateeq B, Asangani IA, Iyer M, Maher CA, Grasso CS, Lonigro RJ, Quist M, Siddiqui J, Mehra R, Jing X, Giordano TJ, Sabel MS, Kleer CG, Palanisamy N, Natrajan R, Lambros MB, Reis-Filho JS, Kumar-Sinha C, Chinnaiyan AM. Functionally recurrent rearrangements of the MAST kinase and Notch gene families in breast cancer. Nat Med 2011;17:1646–1651. PMCID: PMC3233654.
- Lonigro RJ, Grasso CS, Robinson DR, Jing X, Wu YM, Cao X, Quist MJ, Tomlins SA, Pienta KJ, Chinnaiyan AM. Detection of somatic copy number alterations in cancer using targeted exome capture sequencing. Neoplasia 2011;13:1019–1025.
- Grasso CS, Wu Y-M, Robinson DR, Cao X, Dhanasakaran SM, Khan AP, Quist MJ, Jing X, Lonigro RJ, Brenner JS, Asangani IA, Ateeq B, Chun SY, Siddiqui J, Sam L, Anstett M, Mehra R, Prensner JR, Palanisamy N, Ryslik GA, Vandin F, Raphael BJ, Kunju LP, Rhodes DR, Pienta KJ, Chinnaiyan AM, Tomlins SA. The mutational landscape of lethal castrate resistant prostate cancer. Nature 2012, 487(7406): 239-243. NIHMSID: 368879.
- Kalyana-Sundaram S, Kumar-Sinha C, Shankar S, Robinson DR, Wu Y-M, Cao X, Asagani, IA, Kothari V, Prensner JR, Lonigro RJ, Iyer M, Barrette T, Shanmugam A, Dhanasakaran SM, Palanisamy N, Chinnaiyan AM. Expression of Pseudogenes in the Transcriptomic Landscape of Cancer. Cell 2012, 149(7):1622-1634. NIHMSID: 381120.
- Robinson DR, Wu YM, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Cao X, Lonigro RJ, Sung YS, Chen CL, Zhang L, Wang R, Su F, Iyer MK, Roychowdhury S, Siddiqui J, Pienta KJ, Kunju LP, Talpaz M, Mosquera JM, Singer S, Schuetze SM, Antonescu CR, Chinnaiyan AM. Identification of recurrent NAB2-STAT6 gene fusions in solitary fibrous tumor by integrative sequencing. Nat Med. 2012 Nov 20;17(12):1646-51. PMC Journal - In Process.
- Velusamy T, Palanisamy N, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Sahasrabuddhe AA, Maher CA, Robinson DR, Bahler DW, Cornell TT, Wilson TE, Lim MS, Chinnaiyan AM, Elenitoba-Johnson KS. Recurrent reciprocal RNA chimera involving YPEL5 and PPP1CB in chronic lympohocytic leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2013 Feb 4 [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: PMC3581970.
- Kothari V, Wei I, Shankar S, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Wang L, Ma LW, Vats P, Grasso CS, Robinson DR, Wu YM, Cao X, Simeone DM, Chinnaiyan AM, Kumar-Sinha C. Outlier kinase expression by RNA sequencing as targets for precision therapy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Feb 19;110(8):3035-40. PMCID:PMC3581970.
- Paulsen MT, Veloso A, Prasad J, Bedi K, Ljungman EA, Tsan YC, Chang CW, Tarrier B, Washburn JG, Lyons R, Robinson DR, Kumar-Sinha C, Wilson TE, Ljungman M. Coordinated regulation of synthesis and stability of RNA during the acute TNF-induced proinflammatory response.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2013 Feb 5;110(6):2240-5. PMCID: PMC3568384.
- Vlangos CN, Siuniak AN, Robinson D, Chinnaiyan AM, Lyons RH Jr, Cavalcoli JD, Keegan CE. Next-Generation Sequencing Identifies the Danforth's Short Tail Mouse Mutation as a Retrotransposon Insertion Affecting Ptf1a Expression. PLoS Genet. 2013 Feb;9(2):e1003205. Epub 2013 Feb 21. PMCID: PMC3578742.